Thursday, October 1, 2009

Move for a Healthier Neck


So many people have stiff or sore necks, I know because I see them every week in my office. Neck stiffness and soreness can be caused by many different conditions, from something as simple as falling asleep on the couch or in a chair to more serious conditions like a herniated disc. By far, the most common cause is a simple lack of movement in the neck.

Most of us spend our day in front of a computer at work or driving. In essence we sit and look straight ahead all day and what’s worse, we end up doing this with poor posture.

So, how do you correct this and regain a looser pain free neck? Well, you could change jobs but that isn’t really realistic. So, the answer is “Move”, move your neck. Joints in our bodies respond to the stresses that we place on them. If you don’t move them your body responds by making them tighter but if you move you joints then your body responds by making them looser.

In the video above I show 4 movement exercises that I use in my office to help my patients restore the range of motion in their necks and reduce or eliminate the pain that upsets their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment